Tuesday, August 11, 2009

THIS is going to be interesting....

So today I took Will to our Pediatric Otolaryngologist, Dr. Belmont. He has been Helen's "ear doctor" for the last two years and put in her tubes a while back. We really like him and it was fun talking adoption with him today, as he and his wife adopted a little girl from China about a year ago! Anyway...Will has had a "rattle" as he breathes since the day we picked him up at Hannah's Hope 8 weeks ago! He has been treated with breathing treatments, anti-biotics and reflux meds, but none of these treatments have helped "the rattle" go away. Our pediatrician finally decided that we should take Will to see Dr. Belmont and let him try to figure out what causes the constant rattle when he breathes! The first thing that Dr. B discovered was a very bad ear infection! I had no idea! This is the most laid back, happy baby...you would never know that he was experiencing any dis-comfort from an ear infection. So, Will has started another round of anti-biotics. Then, Dr. Belmont asked lots of questions and watched my little "Flip" camera videos that I took to let him see how Will breathes while he is playing and while sleeping. He said those were helpful and then he decided to have Will come back in two weeks for a Flexible Fiberoptic Laryngoscopy. What is that you ask? Yeah, me too! So, I've done a little research and here is what I've found.......He is going to stick this flexible camera thingy up Will's nose and thread it down his throat to see what is going on with the different parts of his larynx! Check out this diagram....
Makes you want to gag, right? Me too! I just can't imagine! However, I mentioned it on my Facebook page and it turns out that a friend of ours has a daughter who had to have this procedure done periodically for the first 2 years of life and she said that it is done very quickly (like in 30 seconds) and with little dis-comfort. It will require that I help hold Will very still and I'm sure it will be hard to watch, but I am anxious to find out what is causing the rattling sound! His appointment is on August 27th. I'll let you all know what we find out!

3 comments:

Troy said...

poor little guy. I'll be praying that God heals Will before the procedure.

Eastiopians said...

At least you are on the road to his healing and finding out what is wrong. These kinds of issues are one of the many reasons that I am sooooo soooo sooooo thankful that the children come home to their forever families out of orphanages so they can get medical treatment and be well and meet their full potential. And I'm sure the anticipation of having that procedure done will be much worse than actually having it done. So try not to stress too much. You are such a good mommy to Will! Give him a hug for me. I can't wait to meet him in person one day!

Theresa

Kathy said...

Oh no...an ear infection and a camera down your nose!! I hope you get that little guy feeling better soon. See you all next week. :)