Hello friends! Sorry for the long time between posts! I know many of you have been looking for new pictures of Will as well as his big brother Beckett and big sister Helen, but there has been a minor technical issue! (The only pictures that I have posted since we returned were ones that Susi took at the airport and downloaded on to my computer before she went home.) I have over 200 pictures on my camera that have not been transferred to my computer and therefore cannot be uploaded to The Harper Hullabaloo! Why? You might ask? Well, my sweet husband, who does not always pay particular attention to details, was in quite a hurry to pack up the Verizon global telephone that we used while we were in Ethiopia! As soon as we were home, we transferred back to our regular phone and we had to send the "global" phone back. Verizon had sent us the box to return the phone and all we had to do was put it in there, along with all of the accesories, put a FedEx sticker on it and send it away. Well, I had not been able to find my USB cable for my camera and we finally determined that Sean stuck it in with all of the other accesories for the global phone and mailed it to Verizon! Do I expect that Verizon will recognize that and send it back to me? Uh, no! So, I just got off the phone with Nikon and have placed an order for a new USB cable. It may be another week before I can transfer any of my pictures to the computer, but in the meantime, I thought I'd check in and tell you a little bit about life here at the Harper Hullabaloo since Will Tekalgn Harper arrived home!
I mentioned that we took Will to the doctor the day after we got home. He took breathing treatments for a few days and was on an anti-biotic for a few days. I didn't really think that the breathing treatments were helping much. I took him to his first check up with our pediatrician on Wednesday and she took him off the breathing treatments and changed his anti-biotic. His ears were still pretty infected. His breathing is a little better, although he still rattles a bit when he breathes! Our doctor sent orders to Children's Hospital for all of Will's preliminary blood work and we went there last Friday. They took 10 vials of blood from his little body! He did so well! Not even a whimper! The technician who took his blood was SO good with him! I was not looking forward to that, but it was as smooth as possible. They gave us the "equipment" for a stool sample and sent us home. (The "equipment" was a little plastic container that looked like a butter tub and a tongue depressor!) That was interesting. We got our little "sample" on Saturday morning and took it back to the hospital that afternoon. That same day, Will attended his first Homeschool Curriculum Fair and his first baby shower for a former student of mine. Does that seem possible? That I can have an 8 month old baby and one of my former first graders can be preparing for her first child? Someone is getting old! Oh my!
Beckett attended Worship Camp at a local church each morning last week and they had their performance on Sunday night. My parents drove over from Brentwood and Sean's parents had just returned home from a vacation in Puerto Rico, so they all came to the "Take it All" performance. It was great! We are very proud of Beckett. He sang and danced and praised God with everything he had! Will slept through most of it, but he was quite a celebrity when the program was over. He was passed around and ooed and ahhed over for quite a while!
Sean had last week off and returned to work this past Monday. It was good having him home that first week back. He took Helen on a couple of father-daughter dates and took Beckett for an afternoon of fishing! We also stayed home a lot just hanging out as a family! We are working on helping Will to bond with our family. I know that I had mentioned the term "cocooning" to some of you. This is the term that the bonding and attachment specialists used to explain the importance of helping Will to learn who his immediate family is (dad, mom, sister and brother) so that he can begin to trust us and feel safe with us. I hope that I didn't over use this term, or scare any of you away! We would love to have visitors if you are in the area! I am giving him all of his bottles and changing all of his diapers and doing most of those care-giving types of things, but we would certainly love to hear from you and introduce you to Will!
He is doing well and has had many "firsts" in the last week and a half. Our pediatrician OK'd us to go ahead and begin introducing baby food. He had been eating cereal (as well as his formula) while at Hannah's Hope for about a week before we arrived. Since being at home he has had both rice cereal and oatmeal cereal as well as green beans, carrots and bananas! He is a great eater and loves his food! He is even attempting to self-feed with the Gerber puffs and Cheerios. This keeps him busy while the rest of us are eating dinner! I just hate that I can't share pictures! I've got some cute ones, so be prepared to be over-loaded with pics when I get that USB cable! Will is still not sleeping through the night, but at least he doesn't stay up for 3 and 4 hours wanting to play. Mostly he just wants a bottle and drifts back to sleep. This happens twice a night. I'm looking forward to some un-interupted sleep one day, but I do enjoy the cuddle time that I have with him during those early morning hours!
Well, if any of you are still reading this, thanks. Sorry to make this so long, but I just wanted to catch you up on the last week and a half! We are so happy to have Will home and we are enjoying him so much. He has fit into our family perfectly. God's plans are perfect and Will is definitely part of God's perfect plan for the Harpers! It is just amazing! We love him so much!
Stay tuned for pictures soon!
6 comments:
love this! sometimes that's all the update one has time for!
He sounds like the same doll I remember in ET!!! Don't worry, LL still gets up twice a night for her bottles too...i figure that is pretty good since GEorge got up about 5 x last night...She sleeps way better than George does :) ha. Great hearing from you guys, kj
I'm so glad that I was able to meet Will on Sunday night!!! He was quite the celebrity wasn't he!!! He is such an adorable little guy! Glad that he's doing well.
Sounds like Will is doing great. Silas is eating rice cereal and a few fruits/veggies these days also. The international pediatrician also recommended yogurt,and he loves it! He is also waking up once a night for a bottle, but Troy & I also enjoy the cuddle time. Glad to hear everything is good over there..
when i posted earlier, it only said the headline "We're still here!" so that's what i meant :)
Thanks for the update. It was so good to see you all day before yesterday. Hopefully we will see you all soon. Tell Beckett we missed seeing his smiling face!
Post a Comment